WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- You don’t have to wait until Friday, Oct. 31 to celebrate Halloween in Mount Pleasant and Greenburgh.
There are lots of family-friendly events taking place throughout October including haunted houses, scarecrow contests, hay rides, pumpkin decorating, window painting and more.
Here’s what’s happening in your neighborhood this Halloween:
Mount Pleasant Fall Foliage Festival
- Where: Broadway Field, at the end of Broadway in Hawthorne
- When: Saturday, Oct. 18 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Thornwood-Hawthorne Chamber of Commerce and the Mount Pleasant Recreation Department invites families to its 2014 Fall Foliage Festival, where the fourth annual scarecrow decorating contest will take place. Other activities include pumpkin decorating, face painting, music, rides, food and games. Admission is free.
The Haunt at Rocky Ledge
- Where: Rocky Ledge Swimming Association, 1402 Old Orchard St. (put 1446 Orchard St. into your GPS), North White Plains
- When: Weekends through Oct. 26, see website for varied showings
This event is not for the faint of heart, and is sure to make an appearance in your next nightmare. Stumble through the night into the cornfield where maniacs and the undead await you. Tickets are $18 per person. The event is not appropriate for children under 10.
Click here to read more about this attraction.
Halloween Window Painting
- Where: Rosehill Shopping Center, 600 Columbus Ave., Thornwood
- When: Friday, Oct. 24 from 3:45 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Turn Rosehill Shopping Center into a frightful scene with the Mount Pleasant Recreation Department. They’ll be handing out clear sheets and paints so get creative and let your imagination run wild with. The pictures will be hung on the shopping center’s storefront for Halloween.
The cost is $5 per person. Registration required at the Recreation Office, 1 Town Plz., Valhalla by Thursday, Oct. 23.
Mount Pleasant Rotary Club's Ragamuffin Parade
- Where: Starts at the Hawthorne Fire House, 25 Home St., Hawthorne
- When: Friday, Oct. 31; gather at 4 p.m., starts at 4:30 p.m.
Show off your Halloween's best in the local Ragamuffin Parade, sponsored by the Mount Pleasant Rotary Club.
Scarecrows and Pumpkins Parade
- Where: Greenburgh Nature Center, 99 Dromore Rd., Scarsdale
- When: Sunday, Oct. 26 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The nature center will be packed with young costumed children who will follow scarecrows along the pumpkin trail and hear tales from storybook characters who will perform festive skits. Cider will be provided courtesy of ShopRite and eats from California Pizza Kitchen will be available for purchase.
The cost for members who pre-register is $5 per person and $10 per person for non-members. Fees on the day of the event are $8 per person for members and $15 per person. Children under two are free.
Click here for more information.
Elmsford Halloween Party
- Where: Alexander Hamilton High School, 98 South Goodwin Ave., Elmsford
- When: Friday, Oct. 31 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Children from pre-k to sixth grade will enjoy a local Halloween bash, including carnival games, prizes, hay rides, a DJ, hot cocoa and refreshments
- Where: Hart’s Brook Park on Preserve, 156 Ridge Rd. in Harstdale
- When: Saturday, Oct. 18 from noon to 4:30 p.m.
Greenburgh Parks and Recreation will host its annual Halloween family fun event with tons of festive activities. Take a hay ride through the park, pet animals from the Greenburgh Nature Center, jump on bouncy inflatables, laugh at clowns and be amazed by jugglers.
The cost is $5 per person over the age of two. Click here to read more.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.