THORNWOOD, N.Y. -- Thinking of grilling burgers this weekend? Erica Gendler, owner of License 2 Grill in Thornwood offers the following suggestions:
- Do not use frozen meat. Fresh beef or turkey is best. "We use eight-ounce 'balls' of beef for a thick juicy burger," said the Port Chester resident. "For a more well done burger press the burger into a thinner patty. Only flip once!"
- Season all proteins well . License 2 Grill uses a blend of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
- Don't press down or pierce your protein during cooking. This can lead to the loss of moisture, causing dryness.
- Utilize your local farmers market for fresh herbs, meats, fruits and vegetables.
- Allow burgers to rest before digging in to give juices a chance to redistribute (158 degrees is suggested).
- Use a wide spatula so burgers don't fall apart on the grill.
License 2 Grill is at 802 Commerce St., (914) 747-0009; www.license2grillny.com/ and is offering 10 percent off for active and retired military Saturday though Monday.