MOUNT PLEASANT, N.Y. For those still without power following this past weekends winter storms, there are areas in Mount Pleasant for residents to gain shelter and help.
The town of Mount Pleasant has set up a shelter at Town Hall at One Town Hall Plaza in Valhalla. For more information, call 914-769-1941 or 914-742-2337.
The Mount Pleasant Public Library in Pleasantville has power and is open. There is free wifi available and multiple computers for residents to access the internet.
The town of Mount Pleasant offers the following safety tips via Con Edison:
- Residents and their families need to take extra caution and be alert for downed power lines. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by snow, tree limbs, leaves or water
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Treat all downed wires as if they are live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object.
- Report all downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you are in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- For more storm tips and preparation, go to www.conEd.com .
Town Supervisor Joan Maybury urges all residents to stay away from fallen power lines and to report any new downed lines to Con Ed at 1-800-752-6633.
As of around noon on Tuesday, Con Ed reported over 3,200 customers without power around the Mount Pleasant and Pleasantville area. An estimated restoration time is by midnight Wednesday, November 2.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.