MOUNT PLEASANT, N.Y. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Pleasant and Valhalla last week:
- Mount Pleasant Supervisor Joan A. Maybury announced her resignation, citing a desire to "retire from public life" after 23 years.
- Crews were able to extinguish a brush fire at the Mount Pleasant Recycling Plant in Chappaqua on Tuesday, according to News 12 Westchester.
- Instead of being a victim of the recession Hawthorne resident Lisa DeRienzo started her own business, pumping new job opportunities into Westchester's economy.
- The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance is warning residents about scam artists attempting to gain personal information by claiming victims are eligible for a tax rebate.
- Students from local and private schools across nine Westchester County towns were among 1,600 semifinalists chosen for the 2015 National Achievement Scholarship program, reports LoHud.com.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.