Two nursing home residents in Westchester have been hospitalized after contracting Legionnaires’ disease.
A resident at Sky View Rehabilitation & Health Care in Croton-on-Hudson, was diagnosed with pneumonia which tested positive for exposure to Legionella bacteria on Wednesday, Oct. 18, said the center's Administrator Vincent A. Maniscalco.
A second resident diagnosed with pneumonia also tested positive for exposure to Legionella bacteria on Friday, he said.
Both residents are receiving appropriate medical care, he added.
Legionnaires disease is a type of pneumonia caused by Legionella bacteria. These bacteria live in fresh water and are very common in both natural and human¬-made water systems. Published surveys found that up to 70 percent of all buildings’ plumbing systems that were tested were positive for Legionella.
Most healthy individuals do not become infected. But some people, including smokers, chemotherapy patients, and the elderly are at somewhat higher risk.
"We are extremely concerned by these cases," Maniscalco said. "We are taking all necessary steps to protect our residents, staff, and visitors."
The center is working closely with the New York State Department of Health and is screening all residents for respiratory symptoms.
Maniscalco said the center has also hired Gordon & Rosenblatt, a water safety consultant, to guide the business in all aspects of their response and help assure the safety of the residents, staff, and visitors.
Results of Sky View’s recent water tests were negative for Legionella-- that is, the tests did not show any evidence of Legionella contamination, he added.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.