VALHALLA, N.Y. – Earl W. Griffin of Valhalla died Sept. 18 at the age of 83.
He was born July 2, 1929, to Daniel and Emma Volmers Griffin. He graduated from White Plains High School and served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. A carpenter, Griffin built many homes with Griffin & Griffin Corp. He retired as a real estate appraiser from Empire State Federal Savings and Loan and Astoria Savings Bank.
Griffin was active in several local organizations; he was a past president of the Westchester Society of Real Estate Appraisers and a 50-year member of White Plains Volunteer Fire Patrol 1. His tenure with the fire company included 30 years of service as treasurer.
He is survived by his wife, Marilyn Hazelton Griffin; three sons, Daniel (Theresa), Glenn and Thomas (Maria) Griggin, all of Valhalla; a daughter, Nancy (Anthony) Lonigro, of Mount Kisco; a brother, Daniel, of White Plains; two sisters, Margaret Rohrs, of Pawley's Island, S.C., and Elizabeth Wetzel, of Fairlee, Vt.; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
There will be a memorial service at 10 a.m. Saturday at Holy Name of Jesus Church in Valhalla. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to a favorite charity.
- 1 Former Mount Pleasant School Board Member Wins Seat As Write-In Candidate
- 2 Mount Pleasant Ranks High Among Nation’s 100 Best Suburbs
- 3 Westchester School Budgets Get OKs From Voters
- 4 Thornwood's License 2 Grill Provides Tips On Grilling The Perfect Burger
- 5 Astorino Asks Obama If He 'Wants To Say Hi' To Hillary Clinton During Visit