MOUNT PLEASANT, N.Y. -- It’s a long way from Thornwood to London, but that’s where a select group of local cheerleaders will be showcasing their winning yells, flips, dives and rolls on New Year’s Day.
Five of the Westlake High School athletes were chosen to perform in the English capital for its world-famous New Year’s Day parade, says their coach, Lauren McNamara.
Dylan Agosto, Sophia Falkenberg, Victoria Moschetta, Samantha Nocerito and Anna Sherman competed against other high school cheerleaders and dancers from across the United States for the chance to help Londoners ring in the new year.
McNamara said she and the team’s assistant coach had a hard time expressing just how proud they were of the kids.
“They are constantly pushing themselves and striving to improve their skill level,” she said.
According to McNamara, they were each selected as an “All American Cheerleader” at one of the summer camps hosted by Universal Cheerleaders Association.
Skills necessary to attain that level include: cheers, dances, stunts and jumps.
The Westlake students attended the Pine Forest Cheerleading Camp in Olyphant, Pa., where only 45 of the 200 cheerleaders trying out were named “All American.”
Each year, Varsity Brands trains more than 325,000 cheerleaders at more than 5,000 camp sessions.
Only the top 12 percent of the cheerleaders who attend the camps earn the chance to march in the holiday spectacular.
The Westlake team will be in England for a week and will get to tour London after the festivities are over.
A little bit about the team:
- Sophomore Dylan Agosto was one of only three male cheerleaders to try out for “All American” at Pine Forest. It’s his second season on varsity and his “stunting position” is a base and backspot. Rather than performing a dance, Dylan was required to show his COED stunting skills. He was also selected to receive a UCA Leadership and Positivity Recognition during the camp.
- Sophomore Sophia Falkenberg made varsity when only an eighth-grader, so this will be her third season on the team. She is also involved in the Math Club and STAR Club Sophia is able to stunt as a flyer, base and backspot!
- This is also Junior Victoria Moschetta's third season on the varsity team. She is also a peer assistance leadership service mentor and a member of Student Council and STAR Club. Her stunting position is backspot and flyer.
- Junior Samantha Nocerito has been with the team for three seasons and was selected for UCA Leadership and Positivity Recognition in 2014.
- Sophomore Anna Sherman , now in her second season, is a flyer. She is also involved in the STAR Club.
“This is the 28th year we’ve been able to bring talented cheerleaders to London, where they can showcase their skills to a very enthusiastic international audience,” said Mike Fultz, Varsity international event coordinator.
For more information, visit the organization’s website, www.varsity.com , or contact Fultz by calling (800)-238-0286 or by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.