THORNWOOD, N.Y. - Westlake High School senior Tommy Hopkins, who committed to attend the University of Connecticut in May, has been selected as the Mount Pleasant Daily Voice Athlete of the Month for November.
Hopkins, a 6-foot-6, 290-pound defensive and offensive lineman, was one of the Wildcats' bright spots in a tough 4-4 season. Recruited by Penn State, Rutgers, Boston College and Virginia, Hopkins chose UConn, where he will enroll in the fall of 2013.
"We had a good team this year, unfortunately though we had a lot of injuries and as a result we missed the playoffs," Hopkins said. "We finished with a 4-4 record but I had a lot of fun this season. I had a great time playing football at Westlake. I've had a lot of great teammates these past three years on varsity."
A down lineman with size and quickness, Hopkins recorded 36 solo and 25 assisted tackles and had six quarterback sacks in eight games. Hopkins was seldom off the field, playing a key blocking role as a an offensive lineman. He was named All-Section and Co-Lineman of the Year in Class B.
"I played in a Section 1 final my sophomore year and I've played with most of the guys since fifth grade," Hopkins said. "I also play basketball and we just started our season. but I missed the first two games because I went on my official visit to UConn. I'm looking forward to going to college next year."
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Westlake High School Valedictorian Encourages 'Acts Of Kindness'
- 3 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 4 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 5 Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Fatal Crash Involving Pleasantville Girl