THORNWOOD, N.Y. - As winter sports get into full swing, athletes from across New York state were recognized for their fall accomplishments Wednesday as the New York State Sports Writers Association All-State football team was released, which featured three players from the Mount Pleasant area.
Westlake High School senior lineman Tommy Hopkins was featured on the Class B First Team All-State offense. Hopkins started on the offensive and defensive line for a Westlake team that finished 4-4. Hopkins was named The Mount Pleasant Daily Voice's Athlete of the Month for November.
Hopkins, who is listed at 6-6, 305 pounds, projects to play offensive tackle in college and committed to play at the University of Connecticut last May. High school recruiting website Rivals.com lists Hopkins as the fifth best prospect in New York.
Pleasantville High School senior offensive lineman Cam Burns was recognized on the Class B Second Team All-State offense. Burns, who is listed at 6-0, 205 pounds, started on a Pleasantville team that finished the season with a 6-3 record and lost in the Class B title game, 14-9, to Our Lady of Lourdes.
Pleasantville senior linebacker Nick Greto, listed at 6-0, 190 pounds, was named to the All-State Honorable Mention team.
- 1 Valhalla School District Will Be Closed, MPCSD Will Have Early Dismissal
- 2 Man Driving 95 MPH Charged With DWI In Mount Pleasant
- 3 Winter Storm Watch Issued For Mount Pleasant On Wednesday
- 4 Parking Officer From Thornwood Out On Bail In 'Sex For No Ticket' Charge
- 5 Mount Pleasant Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday