The old saying "an apple a day" couldn't be truer on Saturday, Nov. 18 -- National Apple Cider Day.
Celebrate with a trip to your local farmer's market or a Westchester farm where you can bite into a taste of Fall with the cinnamony, sugary goodness of fresh apple cider doughnuts -- paired, of course, with apple cider. Here's where to go:
- Acorn Farm & Garden Center, Harrison: You might think this is just a spot for Amish crafted wood products (think Adirondack chairs, sheds, gazebos and playhouses) but think again. A well-stocked Country Market features locally grown produce, Amish crafts, wreaths, quilts and -- best of all -- homemade donuts on Saturday and Sunday. Grab an apple : 470 Mamaroneck Ave., 914-698-7846
- Harvest Moon Farm & Orchard, North Salem: Talk about farm-fresh. The farm store here is bursting with local, grown on the farm or made in New York State goods. And that means doughnuts. Grab an apple: 130 Hardscrabble Rd., 914-485-1210
- Stuart’s Fruit Farm, Granite Springs: Shop at the market -- and grab those sweets -- but also enjoy the hayrides and new for 2017, a corn maze. Grab an apple: 62 Granite Springs Rd., 914-245-2784
- Thompson’s Cider Mill and Orchard, Croton: Enjoy the delicious sweetness of fresh-pressed apple cider right from the source. Just as delish: the doughnuts. Then head for a hike at nearby Teatown so you can work off all you ate. Grab an apple: 335 Blinn Rd.,914-271-2254
- Wilkens Fruit and Fir Farm, Yorktown Heights: It's always fun to spend a day at the farm -- then grab your "dough" to go. Grab an apple : 1335 White Hill Rd., 914-245-5111
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.